Engines & Rolling Stock.
Larger views-Click thumbnails.
The images in both galleries (i.e. above and below) are of engines and rolling stock at DVLR.
The images and the information relating to them were kindly provided by Trevor Humbey.
Please also visit Trevor's website as there are many other superb pictures taken at DVLR
as well as pictures from other railways around the UK and around the Globe. Visit:
Images of more of the engines and rolling stock at DVLR.
DERWENT VALLEY LIGHT RAILWAY STOCK LIST (September 2015)
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST No 2369 built 1955
British Railways 0-6-0DH No D9523 built 1964
British Railways 0-6-0DM No 03079 built 1960
British Railways 0-6-0DM No D2245 built 1959
John Fowler 0-4-0DM No 4200022 built 1948
John Fowler 0-4-0DM No 4100005 built 1947
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No 417892 built 1959
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No 466630 built 1962
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No 441934 built 1960
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No 421419 built 1958
Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0DM No 327964 built 1953
British Railways Mk1 TSO No E3805 built 1953
North Eastern Railway 5 compartment No 1214/2462 built 1890’s
North Eastern Railway body No 1057 built 1877
B & W Engineering observation car No BW1000 built 2003
Southern Railway parcels van No 1367 built 1939
British Railways brake van No B951144 built 1951
British Railways van No B775810 built 1957
British Railways van No B762112 built 1954
British Railways dogfish wagon No DB993312 built 1957
London Midland & Scottish Railway Brake van No 295516 built 1933
Great Western ventilated van No 95166 built 1915
London & North Eastern Railway plate wagon No 239666 built 1940
National Coal Board open wagon No K264 built 1940’s
Shell/BP tank wagon No 5081 built 1938
Steel flat wagon Number and date unknown
INFORMATION ABOUT THE LOCOMOTIVES
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST. Built 1955. No 2369.
This locomotive was the last steam loco built for the NCB and started its life at Bank Colliery in Scotland, where it moved around several collieries before ending up at Barony Colliery near Achinleck in 1968 until it was sold to preservation in 1982.
This is quite a large loco for only four wheels, having a cylinder size of 16 X 24 inch. And a grate area of 12 square feet. The water tank holds 1,050 gallons and the boiler working pressure is 160psi. In full working order the loco weighs approx. 36 tons.
British railways D9523 Built 1964 at Swindon.
Originally delivered to Old Oak Common in December 1964 and later moved to Bristol Bath Road in 1965, then eventually ending up at Hull Diarycoates in 1966. All the class 14’s were withdrawn in 1968 after only 4 years in traffic, British railways having no real use for the machines. This example worked for the rest of its life for the British Steel Corporation and last worked at Corby Quarries until withdrawn in 1980. Preservation first started at the Great Central Railway before moving to the Nene Valley railway. This loco is currently at the Nene Valley railway where it is receiving a major rebuild of the power unit.
British Railways D2245 Built 1956 .
Built 1956 and numbered under British Railways as 11215. First allocated to 50B Leeds, Neville Hill in 1956, then to 50C Selby in 1959 having been renumbered again to D2245. Then it was allocated to 50A York again in 1959 until 50D Goole in 1967 and later withdrawn in 1968. It was sold to the Derwent Valley railway in 1969 where it became number 2 and stayed until it was sold to the Battlefield railway, Shackerstone in 1978.
British Railways 03079. Built 1960 at Doncaster.
Delivered new from Doncaster works on 16/1/60 to Thornaby Depot (51L), as D2079. As D2079, it was transferred from Thornaby to Darlington (51A) on 23/1/60. It was renumbered from D2079 to 03079 at Darlington on the 9/2/74. It remained at Darlington (DN) until 22/2/76, when it was transferred to Gateshead (GD). During the locos time at Gateshead, it spent a lot of time north of Newcastle at Tweedmouth, near Berwick, and in 1982, certainly during April, it was unofficially named ‘Border Lass’, but the exact date is uncertain.
It stayed at Gateshead (GD) until it was transferred to Eastleigh (EH) near Southampton on the 11/9/83. It was only allocated to Eastleigh as a storage location, but was used occasionally. It was then transferred from Eastleigh to Ryde (RY) on the 8/4/84 where it was allocated until sold to preservation in 1998.
During its period at Ryde, it was renumbered from 03079 to 97805, the date of its renumbering is uncertain, but it was renumbered back to 03079 on the 16/2/89. The loco never actually carried the number 97805.
John Fowler 0-4-0DM. Built 1948. No.4200022.
Fowler’s diesel mechanical center cab was built from the early 1930’s up to 1949. The design was particularly common and popular with the military authorities, supplying 120 during the Second World War for government and military use. This class was built in the 137-150hp-power range and many were fitted with Fowler-Sanders engines. This example is of the 150hp and was purchased from the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway in 1989 where it had stood for 14 years; this loco has had several owners over the years, one of which was Vauxhaul Motors. British Railways owned six of this class in the engineering department.
John Fowler 0-4-0DM. Built 1947. No. 4100005. Churchill
This locomotive is an example of Fowlers 0-4-0 diesel mechanical designs introduced from 1930, when their first diesel shunter was built. Fowlers fitted various engines to this design but mostly their own Fowler-Sanders type, although some had MAN and others had Ruston engines.
This loco has a six-cylinder engine with drive from jackshaft to rear axle. This loco first worked at Cropper & Co. Ltd. Thatcham, and ended its days at Highlight (Grain Handling) Ltd. of Dunnington until the early 1980’s. The loco ended up in the ownership of the Derwent Valley Railway until being donated to the Yorkshire Museum of Farming.
Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0DM. Built 1953. No. 327964. British Sugar
The 165DS class was introduced in 1946, the first Ruston diesel mechanical type with coupled wheels driven from a jackshaft. The class was available for gauges of 3’6” – 5’6” and either 0-4-0 locos of 28 tons or 0-6-0 of 30 tons. Altogether 124 were built, all at Boultham Works. The class has Ruston 6VPH engines of 165hp at 1250rpm. This particular example was donated by British Sugar Corporation of York and is one of 16 examples of this class operating 14 sugar factories.
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM. Built 1962. No. 466630. Octavius Atkinson
This loco was the last of the DS88 class to be built at Boultham Works, Lincoln, before all locomotive production was moved to Ironworks just down the road. It is one of 254 built for home and overseas, these locos were built to any of 8 different track gauges depending on customer requirements, this is why the wheels are on the inside of the frames. The loco was delivered new to Booth Row Metals of Rotherham, where it worked for just over 25 years before moving to preservation.
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM. Built 1959. No. 417892. Jim
Ruston & Hornsby Ltd of Lincoln was formed in 1918 when two companies, Ruston-Proctor & Co. Ltd. of Lincoln and Richard Hornsby & Sons Ltd. of Grantham, amalgamated. Their various engineering activities were expanded into locomotive production in the 1930’s and their first diesel left the Anchor Street Works on 1st September 1931. Diesel production was transferred to the larger Boultham Works in the summer of 1932. This particular loco is 7.5 tons and is of the DS48 class, and proved popular with light shunting duties, 204 were built. The loco is chain driven, with a three speed gearbox and has a four cylinder Ruston 4YCL engine of 48hp, with a maximum tractive effort of 3480lbs. Leading dimensions are: length over buffers 13’7”, height 10’1”, width 7’4”, wheelbase 5’2”, and wheel diameter 2’6”, which makes this loco smaller than most wagons. This loco was delivered new to Sir William Arrol & Co. Ltd., a steel stockyard in Glasgow. It was later sold to Crossley’s Scrap metal merchants in Shipley in 1975 where it worked until 1982 when it was sold to railway preservation.
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM. Built 1960 No. 441934 Rowntree No. 3
Originally delivered to the Rowntree chocolate factory in York in April 1960 and became No3. Twenty years later in 1980 it was moved to Rowntree’s factory in Fawdon near Newcastle where it was renumbered to No2. It was surplus to requirements in 1987 and went into preservation on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. It did not see any use on the Moors and was loaned out to the Middleton Railway in Leeds in 1991. In March 2006 it was moved to the National railway Museum at Shildon. It was purchased by DVLR members in 2013 and moved to Murton, York.
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM. Built 1958 No. 421419 Rowntree No. 2
Delivered new to Rowntree’s York factory in1958. Not much is known about the history of this loco other than it went into preservation in 1987 at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. It stood in a siding at the Moors for many years slowly rusting away until it was purchased by the DVLR in 2015 as a source of spare parts.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE WAGONS
British Railways standard brake van. No. B951144. Built 1951.
These 20-ton brake vans were a continuation of the LNER design with slight modifications. This example was built at Darlington Works and is one of approximately 5,000, of which there are only a few hundred left. Due to trains being fitted the continuous brake system, these vans are no longer required to assist in the braking of the train. This van came into preservation from BR in 1986.
London Midland & Scottish brake van. No. 295516. Built 1933.
Only 100 hundred of these vans were built in 1933/4 and differed only from the previous design by having 14’ wheelbase instead of 12’, probably to give a more comfortable ride to the brakeman.
British Railways ventilated van B775810 Built 1957.
Built at Darlington Faverdale wagon works in 1957, this general use van was bought for preservation in 2003 and moved to the DVLR.
British railways ventilated van B762112 Built 1954.
This ventilated van was built at Wolverton wagon works in 1954 and was used in a demonstration freight train the NYMR until coming to the DVLR in 2013.
British Railway Dogfish ballast wagon No. DB993312 Built 1957.
This ballast hopper was brought to the DVLR in 2003 to help with trackwork. This wagon made the whole process of ballasting the track so much easier.
Great Western Railway ventilated van. No. 95166. Built 1915.
This van was built at Swindon and designed to carry general goods, from potatoes to engine parts. British Railways modified this particular van in the 1950’s to carry bananas, and was fitted with steam heating to help ripen the fruit on its way from the docks to the market. The only visual difference from the original design is the steam heat pipes, which can be seen hanging down next to the coupling.
London & North Eastern Railway plate wagon. No. 239666. Built 1940.
This wagon was designed to carry steel plate, which was laid flat and could carry up to 20 tons at a time. This example was built at Darlington during the Second World War and is one of thousands.
Shell-Mex & BP Ltd. tank wagon. No. 5081. Built 1938.
Tank wagons of this type were used extensively during the Second World War, some 6,500 vehicles passing to the Petroleum Board in September 1939 apart from over 3,000 in the Air Ministry Fleet. These first wagons were all class ‘A’ vehicles, which were designed to carry 14 tons of liquids with a flashpoint less than 75 F, i.e. petrol and aviation spirit. Due to the Railway Clearing House regulations, discharge was by means of a siphon tube on the top of the barrel, as bottom discharge was prohibited at that time due to poor valve design. The tank has a capacity of 4,275 gallons.
Southern Railway PMV (Parcels and Miscellaneous Vehicle). No. 1367. Built 1939.
From 1936 the Southern Railway introduced a fleet of medium wheelbase PMV wagons. These vehicles can still be seen on British Rail in the Southern and Western Regions. They were designed to run in passenger trains, though they are now more common in departmental stock.
National Coal Board coal wagon. No. K264. Built 1940’s.
This wagon is a rebuild of an LNER hopper wagon used at Kellingley Colliery on the wagon tipper, which turned the wagon over to empty the coal. This is the only example left from Kellingley and was donated by British Coal.
British Railway Mk 1 passenger coach E3805 Built 1953 at York.
This coach is on loan from the North Yorkshire Moors railway and has been at Murton for many years. Built in York in 1953.
Observation coach BW 1000 Built 2003.
This is a relative new coach body built onto a wagon underframe. The construction work was carried out at B & W engineering works at Elvington near York. The coach is unique and is quite a gem to have at the DVLR.
North Eastern Railway passenger coach. No. 1214/2462. Built 1890’s.
This coach is a recent rebuild with the 2 halves of 2 coaches fitted to a Southern Railway under frame. It now has 3 compartments, a brake compartment and an open section, originally having 5 compartments.
North Eastern Railway coach body. No. 1057. Built 1877.
This coach body is now a mess coach for the volunteers of the Derwent Valley Light Railway. It is of an older design to the other NER coach of only 26’, the only other one to survive is on the Tanfield Railway.
Steel flat wagon.
This wagon chassis is from a hopper and the build date or Railway Company is not known. It can carry up to 20 tons and is useful for moving item around the railway.
Derwent Valley Light Railway,
c/o Yorkshire Museum of Farming,
Murton Lane, Murton, York, YO19 5UF.
Derwent Valley Light Railway Society is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
Registered number 116162