Derwent Valley Light Railway
Fowler 4100005 built 1947. Churchill.
Picture by Trevor Humbey
This locomotive is an example of Fowlers 0-4-0 diesel mechanical designs introduced from 1930, when their first diesel shunter was built. Fowlers fitted various engines to this design but mostly their own Fowler-Sanders type, although some had MAN and others had Ruston engines. This loco has a six-cylinder engine with drive from jackshaft to rear axle. This loco first worked at Cropper & Co. Ltd. Thatcham, and ended its days at Highlight (Grain Handling) Ltd. of Dunnington until the early 1980s. The loco ended up in the ownership of the Derwent Valley Railway until being donated to the Yorkshire Museum of Farming.