Derwent Valley Light Railway
Ruston & Hornsby 327964 built 1953
Picture by Trevor Humbey
The 165DS class was introduced in 1946, the first Ruston diesel mechanical type with coupled wheels driven from a jackshaft. The class was available for gauges of 3feet 6inches to 5feet 6inches and either 0-4-0 locos of 28 tons or 0-6-0 of 30 tons. Altogether 124 were built, all at Boultham Works. The class has Ruston 6VPH engines of 165hp at 1250rpm. This particular example was donated by British Sugar Corporation of York and is one of 16 examples of this class operating 14 sugar factories.